As the holidays approach, it’s important to protect your smile from dental cavities. No one wants to be a victim of tooth decay, so we are here to give you the tips you need to prevent cavities this holiday season. So, for a strong and healthy smile, please do the following things:
· Keep up on oral hygiene: Oral hygiene is extremely important; it helps you thoroughly clean your smile every day. So, it’s best to keep up on your routine. You should be brushing twice a day and flossing and rinsing daily. You can use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste when you brush and beneficial, fluoride mouthwash when you rinse. Also, remember to be gentle around the gums as you brush and floss.
· Visit your dentist regularly: Make sure you visit your dentist every six months for a professional cleaning and checkup. These appointments are vital if you want a strong and successful oral health. They prevent tooth decay and gum disease and they give your dentist the chance to treat any problem that you have as soon as possible.
· Consider dental sealants: Dental sealants are great dental products if you’re interested in protecting your teeth. These sealants are thin and plastic and they cover the entire visible surface of your tooth. They are generally used for the back molars and they can be helpful for both children and adults.
· Take advantage of fluoride: Fluoride is a mineral that gives your teeth the strength they need to survive. It’s important that you brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste, rinse your mouth with fluoride mouthwash, use professional fluoride treatments at the dental office, and drink plenty of tap water. Doing these things will help you receive the fluoride you need.
· Eat tooth-healthy foods: Make sure you eat tooth-healthy foods, like fresh fruits and veggies, as much as possible. Do your best to avoid eating foods like hard, sticky candies, sugary treats, and soda.
If you do these five things, you will have the strong, successful smile you deserve and you won’t need to worry about tooth decay this holiday season! If you have any questions or if you would like additional tips, please call 334-745-6393 now and talk to our friendly dental team at Tatum & Cox. We also encourage you to schedule an appointment with Dr. Crawford A. Tatum Jr. if you are due for a dental cleaning and checkup. We look forward to meeting with you and helping you maintain a healthy oral cavity!